Pages

Sunday, December 7, 2014

We Must Not Forget


"Now the birth of Jesus Christ took place in this way. When his mother Mary had been betrothed to Joseph, before they came together she was found to be with child from the Holy Spirit." (Matthew 1:18)

A young girl, pregnant before marriage, shamed by her family and community, was my Savior's mother.

"And she gave birth to her firstborn son and wrapped him in swaddling cloths and laid him in a manger, because there was no place for them in the inn." (Luke 2:7)

My Savior was born a refugee. My Savior was born with no home. My Savior slept, for the first time, in a manger meant for animal feed.

"When the angels went away from them into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, 'Let us go over to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has made known to us.' And they went with haste and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby lying in a manger." (Luke 2:15-16)

One of the lowest viewed people, both economically and in cleanliness, who lived on the margins of society, were my Savior's first guests.

"Now when they had departed, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream and said, 'Rise, take the child and his mother, and flee to Egypt, and remain there until I tell you, for Herod is about to search for the child, to destroy him." (Matthew 2:13)

My Savior was forced to flee for his life. My Savior was vulnerable and very much in need of saving.

"Then Herod, when he saw that he had been tricked by the wise men, became furious, and he sent and killed all the male children in Bethlehem and in all that region who were two years old or under, according to the time that he had ascertained from the wise men.Then was fulfilled what was spoken by the prophet Jeremiah:'A voice was heard in Ramah, weeping and loud lamentation, Rachel weeping for her children; she refused to be comforted, because they are no more." (Matthew 2:16-18)

My Savior, as a babe, threatened the power structure. My Savior caused a scandal.

This is how my Savior's story starts.

This is the Jesus I serve.

We must not forget the person Jesus came here as. We must not forget the people who he celebrated with. We need not miss the darkness of our "Christmas story." We need not miss the pain. 

We make our Christmas season all about the Light, but what is the point if we don't first dive deep into the darkness of the world around us and in us? How do you recognize the Light when you're closing your eyes in the dark?

This passed month I have felt the presence of my Savior the strongest and seen the Light in a whole new way by experiencing the ache that comes from looking the darkness of this world straight in the face. I've found Jesus in the midst of peaceful protesters and meetings full of hurting people longing for justice. I have felt him in the pavement beneath my feet and the chill of the wind on my face. In listening to mothers and fathers cry for their children that are no more. I have found him in very dark and very painful places.

And it has hurt and sometimes, it makes you tired. There are tears and there is anger, and it weighs heavy on your heart, but there is no doubt in my mind that, that is where we, as people of faith, need to be, right in the middle of this deeply broken world.

It's where Jesus stood from the moment he was born.

I am asking you to wake up this Advent season. Open your eyes. See the deep darkness of this world. Open your ears. Hear the weeping of all of the Rachels whose children are no more. Let yourself feel it deeply. It's not time to sit back and watch. It is time to stand up.

The Christmas story leaves us with this question of allegiance. Where will you stand? With the powerful or the One born on the margins?

Remember, as we fill our world with Christmas lights and reflect on the birth of Jesus this season, that "we do the Light a disservice when we underestimate the darkness." (Christena Cleveland)

I pray that you step into this world's heavy darkness so that you feel the deep, desperate hope that Jesus came here to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment