Pages

Friday, November 29, 2013

Committed.

When I was in Houston, Texas for a week long Mission Year training, Leroy Barber, while speaking on diversity, explained the difference between "value" and "commitment."

The idea has resonated deeply with me recently.

To value something is to believe that it's important, to see it's usefulness, and to hold it in high opinion.

To commit to something is to make a decision that you won't continue without it, to be dedicated to it's cause, and to be actively working towards it.

There's a big difference in what the two look like.

I've been thinking a lot about what this looks like in my own life...

For all of my life I have valued God and living a Godly lifestyle. I grew up knowing it was important. In my mind it was always one of the most important things in life. But I was never consistent.

I swerved in and out of living in right communion with God. I would pursue it for a time, but would quickly revert back to my old nature when things got hard. My lifestyle and what I was pursuing didn't always line up with what I valued.

I would hold God highly, and when I felt like it, would walk in step with Him, but I wouldn't give Him all, because if I fully committed, I knew I couldn't jump right back into my sinful nature whenever I wanted to.

My heart was divided...

I struggle with commitment. I always have.

But something changed in me within this last year that I've continued to let stir inside of me.

I made a choice.
A choice to commit.

"But what happens when we live God’s way? He brings gifts into our lives, much the same way that fruit appears in an orchard—things like affection for others, exuberance about life, serenity. We develop a willingness to stick with things, a sense of compassion in the heart, and a conviction that a basic holiness permeates things and people. We find ourselves involved in loyal commitments, not needing to force our way in life, able to marshal and direct our energies wisely."
                                                       - Galatians 5:22-23 (The Message)

In the last couple weeks, I've found where the hard work of commitment comes in.
And I realized how little I truly committed to God throughout a lot of my life.

I've always valued God, but commitment is work...
A lot of hard work.

These passed couple weeks I've sat in the tension of learning what the messy parts of commitment look like.

The place where simply valuing isn't enough anymore.

I'm still trying to get a hang of this commitment thing.
I'm learning how to stick with it through the tension and the mess.

I'm not good at commitment. I may never be. But thankfully, I serve a God that holds more grace than I can ever truly comprehend and could ever come close to deserving.

I think, I can confidently say now...
That to God, I am committed.

I will live my life, to the best I can, to work towards His Kingdom and beauty in the world.
I will be wholly dedicated.
I will not settle for living without inviting Him to be present in every moment.
I will not give up. No matter the work. No matter the mess.

I am here. And I am committed.

...

Do you simply value God or are you committed?

No comments:

Post a Comment