Pages

Thursday, December 12, 2013

SEPTA Community

There's a beautiful thing that happens when you ride public transit. You become a part of a unique community. I've gotten to watch it for a while now and it's a beautiful thing.

I watch young, tough guys help ladies bring grocery carts on and off the bus.

I've been the one with the grocery cart.

I watch a lady hold a child that she doesn't even know, so that the child's mother can carry all of her stuff and not stumble with the child in her hands.

I watch a kid get everyone around her smiling and mothers laughing with the ones around her.

I've had kids make my whole day on the bus, and talked with mothers as we laughed together.

I hear strangers help each other out with directions or questions.

I've had my questions answered.

I watch people sharing a hearty laugh with people they don't even know.

I watch guys with loud voices help others shout, "back door" when they need to get off so they don't miss their stop.

I've been the one they've helped.

I hear strangers wish each other a Merry Christmas as they leave.

You rub shoulders with strangers, people you may never interact with apart from that bus ride, but there's something that's okay about it.

SEPTA inspires me.

There's something binding about riding public transit.
A community is created.
And I think I might have something to learn...

No comments:

Post a Comment